We are celebrating 11 years of Peatix this May!
This joyous milestone is made possible by the continuous efforts of our homegrown organizers in Singapore, Malaysia and Japan. Their initiatives to unite the world inspire us at Peatix and we believe it may spark new ideas for you too!
In conjunction with our 11th anniversary, we would like to turn the spotlight on our organizers and the incredible experiences they create, both online and offline.
Here is our little interview with Russell’s KL, a music venue turned virtual concert stage.
1. Tell us about Russell’s KL
Russell’s KL was born out of necessity. I was releasing more original music and needed a place to stage concerts. Most of the bars and music venues in KL at that time catered more to audiences that enjoyed cover bands. Opening Russell’s KL in 2016 finally gave me a space to get as creative as I could imagine. It would also serve as a base of operations of sorts for me. I would host press conferences, private concerts and band rehearsals there. It was my own playground so to speak.
2. What inspired you to start Russell’s KL and what motivates you to keep running it?
Having visited many small hidden music rooms in NYC I was determined to have a space like that of my own. Sadly after a gruesome year of lockdown with zero revenue we had to close the physical space in 2021. The concept though is still very much alive. Russell’s KL is now a mobile platform that collaborates and hosts events with other great venues here in KL.
3. Do you remember the first event you created? What was one memorable moment from running it?
The first event I held at the space was a private birthday party. It was my birthday and Russell’s KL’s birthday too! We had an amazing night of music.
4. One piece of advice you’d offer to new event organizers who are eager but a little nervous about running an online/offline event?
Just one piece of advice? How bout five? 😅
- Start small and grow as you go.
- Every event is a learning exercise.
- Be brutally honest during your post mortems.
- Put your heart and soul into every event regardless how big or small it be.
- Never underestimate the value of good partnerships.
5. How has Peatix benefited you the most in your event and/or community management process?
Remember what I said about good partnerships? Peatix is definitely one of them. I’ve enjoyed working with Peatix for years when hosting physical events at Russell’s KL. But when the pandemic hit Peatix gave me a platform for my customers to seamlessly secure tickets to my events regardless of where in the world they may be. During lockdown I started an online ticketed show series called “The Russell Curtis Homecoustic Sessions”. I was the first in the country to do so which meant I needed to figure out a lot of the schematics myself as there were no examples. With Peatix one of the biggest concerns was taken care off at a super affordable rate. We had audiences tuning in from almost every continent and with Peatix all they needed was a credit card and they could buy tickets to the show. That is one of the reasons why I value our partnership so much.
Follow the Russell’s KL Peatix Group and discover your next nightlife experience.
Looking for comprehensive solutions to support your community building journey, visit Peatix.com today!