We are celebrating 11 years of Peatix this May!
This joyous milestone is made possible by the continuous efforts of our homegrown organizers in Singapore, Malaysia and Japan. Their initiatives to unite the world inspire us at Peatix and we believe it may spark new ideas for you too!
In conjunction with our 11th anniversary, we would like to turn the spotlight on our organizers and the incredible experiences they create, both online and offline.
Here is our little interview with Objectifs, a visual arts space in Singapore that is dedicated to film and photography.
- Tell us about Objectifs
Established in 2003, we are situated at 155 Middle Road, Singapore 188977 and online at www.objectifs.com.sg and @objectifscentre on Facebook and Instagram. Our goal is to cultivate original voices in visual storytelling, and to inspire and broaden perspectives through the power of images. We do this by presenting a year-round programme of exhibitions, screenings, workshops, talks, mentorships and residencies, aimed at fostering dialogue about visual culture, and advancing the practice and appreciation of photography and film.
- What inspired you to start Objectifs and what motivates you to keep running it?
Objectifs’ founders were inspired to start it in 2003 to
- foster the appreciation and practice of film and photography
- to build community with and support local, regional and international artists working in lens-based mediums through developmental programmes
- and to empower diverse audiences to understand photography and film as mediums for self-expressions, and to grow their visual literacy.
We are motivated to keep running it to
- continue to nurture through mentorship and education
- create space for new, vital, critical and underrepresented visual stories
- grow and enhance our accessibility to diverse audiences.
- Do you remember the first event you created? What was one memorable moment from running it?
We can’t recall the first event we created, but a recent one is our annual presentation of works by recipients of the Objectifs Documentary Awards. After two-and-a-half years, we were lucky and excited to have the exhibiting artists fly to Singapore from Vietnam and Philippines, and we could hold offline events such as guided exhibition tours and artist talks.
- One piece of advice you’d offer to new event organizers who are eager but a little nervous about running an online/offline event?
Be sure to send your attendees a thank you email soon after the event. You can use this to:
- collate key resources relevant to the event (such as the speakers’ websites and social media)
- highlight upcoming events (especially if they’re part of the same programme) by your organization
- list how they can support your organization and continue to keep in touch with you.
Even if you may survey them at the end of your event, you may get a few personalized responses to your thank you email, in which attendees offer encouraging or constructive feedback. It’s affirming as an event organizer to see that some attendees found your event meaningful enough to respond personally.
- How has Peatix benefited you the most in your event and/or community management process?
With Peatix, we are able to gather registrations for our events more efficiently than manually handling them via our website. This frees up our small team’s valuable time to focus on other tasks. We also appreciate that events listed on Peatix are circulated to users to whom they may be of interest, which allows new audiences to discover and engage with what we do.
Follow the Objectifs Peatix Group and discover your next arts adventure.
Looking for comprehensive solutions to support your community building journey, visit Peatix.com today!